Saturday, December 28, 2013

Random Thought Generator

Is my mind really random?

I mean I think I'm pretty creative. I used to do this thing where I'd sing songs to myself as a kid and make up songs about whatever was around me. Now, this could be very amusing, (I imagine), for anyone around me, and I must admit it was something I did to entertain myself, (I was a bit of a loner kid), but was I really doing anything new?

...Riskier when at work.
Also I do this when I'm in the house alone...
I bet lots of kids sang songs to themselves whilst whittling away the hours of the day out of boredom. Heck, before iPhones and video games were popular, that's really all we had. Now we are so bombarded with "original" content to fixate us and entertain us and most honestly help us escape reality, that we can't come up with any original thought of our own. So then is the saying, "there's nothing new under the sun," entirely true?

YES.

I really do believe that it's all been done before and it'll probably be done again. The cycle from beatnik to hippie to hipster all follows a pattern.

Original Goof.
WOOO! FULL CIRCLE!
So if I want to be truly creative and not recreate something that's already been made, then I have to do something that hasn't been done before. Impossible. The next best thing?

Do something no one alive or at least people you know have ever seen before or even heard of within your century.

That's why my Christmas gifts this year of random song creation based off words is so much fun for me, it's really me just getting to give with the part of me that works best. The makeitupasyougoalong muscle is probably the strongest muscle I have, next to the actlikenothingiswrong one. I want to believe that in all the songs I made up, (link after the jump), I was being new and different, as I'm guessing most people hope they are being. I bet though, that at the heart of everything, I was just recalling old memories and silly facts from my life. My creativity was nurtured in me, cultivated like a garden. Now my garden looks one particular way, but who is to say that someone else's wasn't nurtured the same or can achieve the same results through a slightly varied process.

Seriously... Just watch an episode.
Heffer was raised by wolves, and look how good he turned out!
All that to say, I'd rather be authentic than original. Even if it has been done before, I don't want to know that it was. Maybe I am following in the footsteps of someone before me. I get to choose though. I surround myself with the people I want to become like.

Well. Here's to being... me.

Have a pleasant tomorrow!

~J

Bonus video!


No comments:

Post a Comment